The ever-growing hair care industry is proof that you are not alone in the search to get longer and healthier hair. Hair growth is influenced by many factors, including genetics, diet, and the damage of your hair. While you cannot change your genetic predisposition for thin hair, we have eleven lifestyle changes you can make to get the luscious hair you’ve always dreamed of.
1. Eat your way to longer hair: Your hair needs proper nourishment to grow and stay healthy. Instead of rushing to buy supplements and quick fixes, evaluate whether you are getting enough nutrients in your diet. Some foods that could encourage health and growth are eggs, fatty fish, antioxidant-packed foods like berries and leafy greens, nuts, and seeds. Make sure you incorporate enough protein in your diet since protein deficiency has been linked to hair loss and dullness. Moreover, avoid processed foods, smoking, and drink alcohol in moderation.
2. Shampoo your hair every other day: Whether you have dry or oily hair, it is not recommended to wash it every single day. The purpose of shampoo is to get rid of dirt and buildup, but it also strips away your natural oils essential for long, lustrous hair. When you need to cleanse your hair, use a sulfate-free shampoo, which cleanses your hair without stripping it from its moisture.
3. Focus on scalp care: If you are trying to grow your hair fast, you need to pay special care to your scalp. Many people spend a lot of time and money on hair products, but they forget that the foundation for healthy hair is a healthy scalp. One quick and efficient way to take care of your scalp is by doing scalp massages. A scalp massage promotes relaxation, relieves stress, and boosts your hair's growth and health by increasing blood flow, strengthening your roots, and helping nutrients be transported more efficiently. You can do a dry massage and still see benefits, but we recommend using a nutrient-rich oil like castor oil to get the most out of your scalp massage.
4. Ditch the heat: You probably know this already, but every hair expert will tell you that the best way to get healthier hair is by ditching blow-dryers, styling irons, and curlers. If you need to use a heat tool, protect your hair with a special spray or treatment beforehand.
5. Trim regularly: Cutting your hair when trying to grow it may seem counterproductive, but regular trims get rid of split ends and dry hair, encouraging growth. Many hair care products claim to get rid of split ends, but the only way to get rid of them permanently is by cutting them off. How often you should visit your stylist depends on many factors, including the condition of your hair, your daily routine, and your hairstyle, but ideally, you should be getting a trim every three months. That being said, the better you care for your hair daily, the less often it will need trimming.
6. Brush carefully: If you tend to quickly and carelessly brush your hair, now is the time to stop. Brushing your hair too harshly can cause your strands to split and break off, taking you one step backward in your journey to longer hair. Brush your hair slowly and gently, preferably when it isn't soaking wet since wet hair is more prone to damage and breaking.
7. Use keratin-based products: Keratin-based products are amongst the most popular hair products, and for a good reason. Keratin products help your hair stay hydrated and look shinier, but they might also encourage growth and strengthen your hair!
8. Try caffeine-infused products: Caffeine is an excellent ingredient to look for when trying to grow long hair. Caffeine-infused products help stimulate blood flow to your scalp, promote hair growth, and prevent hair loss. If you want longer, thicker hair, buy yourself a caffeine-infused shampoo, serum, or leave-in conditioner.
9. Try an egg yolk mask: An egg yolk mask is a cheap and effective alternative to store-bought hair masks. Eggs contain folate and biotin, both of which are essential for strengthening, nourishing, and protecting your hair from damage.
-To make an egg yolk mask, mix two eggs, two tablespoons of olive oil, and ¼ cup of water. Apply the mask to dry untangled hair, and leave it on for 30 minutes. Then, wash and condition your hair as usual.
10. Consider taking supplements: Dietary supplements are not a miracle cure, but they can be a great addition to your hair care routine. Many supplements can help you get healthier hair, but some are more efficient than others. Some supplements that might help are:
- Vitamin C: Vitamin C is a necessary vitamin for hair growth because it helps the body produce more collagen- an essential protein for strong and vibrant hair.
- Biotin: Biotin is a water-soluble vitamin that supports the growth of hair, skin, and nails by helping to break down fats and carbohydrates and stimulating keratin production.
- Collagen: Collagen is the most abundant protein in our bodies, but as we age, our natural collagen production decreases, leading to more wrinkles and thinning hair. This protein is essential for hair growth and strength, and while you can get collagen in your diet, collagen supplements are a quick and easy way to compensate for decreasing collagen.
- Protein: Hair is made almost entirely out of protein, so it is no surprise that low protein intake could result in brittle and dull hair. If you struggle to reach your protein intake goal solely with your diet, consider taking protein supplements.
Multivitamins: Multivitamins are an easy way to get multiple beneficial vitamins in one go. Most multivitamins contain vitamin B, C, D, zinc, and iron, which play a crucial role in hair growth and health.
11. Invest in a silk pillowcase: One of the most straightforward ways to help your hair become healthier is by sleeping on a silk pillowcase. Cotton pillowcases usually pull the moisture from our hair and cause friction that leads to damage and dryness. Avoid unnecessary damage to your hair by investing in a silk pillowcase!
You can’t grow your hair overnight, but you can create a routine to ensure that your hair is as healthy as possible. If you want to look and feel good, start making the necessary changes to help with hair growth and strength.
We hope this blog was helpful on your journey to luscious hair! If you would like to read more tips like these or are interested in buying ethically sourced, high-quality hydrolyzed collagen, go to Revive Naturals.